Thursday, August 25, 2011

How to deal with hectic lives

It's been a couple of weeks since the last post (dedicated to my dear friend Sarah), and I've got a few moments to focus on what to offer you.

What comes to me is the idea of being gentle with ourselves.

These past few weeks I have been very busy reorganizing my life's investments and taking care of loose ends. I've started a new job, reached out to several new yoga studios, and taken on independent ventures that include sharing yoga to the office people at my primary job. It's been a mess of research, digital notes, follow-up phone calls, commuting and sleeping. But with all the fever of manifestation, I witnessed that ideas and goals I had begun to think about months and even years ago were beginning to take form in my everyday life. It's an exciting experience, and also a bit intimidating. I am constantly reminding myself to step out of the way and, sometimes, this helps put my mind in it's proper place. Due to all the shifting and reorganizing, my hatha yoga practice has gone by the wayside slightly. I've found that gentle stretches at the wall, hip openers and wrist rolls have become something of a routine just before bed.

I've also observed this kind of compression in my friend's lives as well. Life is pregnant [in some cases, literally] with new endeavors, new arrangements. A lot of energy, thinking and time gets invested in supporting the shift and it can be too easy to beat ourselves up for not remaining disciplined to our practice. As a way to cope, I've begun enlisting the support of mantra. I will sing well-loved mantra's to myself in the car, or think to myself, "come what may," enough times to feel connected to my breathing.

When our lives become hectic and our attention is needed in other areas to support important changes to occur, it is reassuring to know that yoga shows up in a variety of ways, to support our body-mind through the transitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment